Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mandarin Oranges

Trying to get back on track with my healthy eating more these days. My body is taking a big hit during this hot, rainy summer season here in South Florida this year. The rain and changes in barometric pressure are triggering constant headaches :/ And I think the heat and humidity and making me feel extra tired and my fibro body extra sore :/ Anyhoo, so part of my regimine is gnoshing on mandarin oranges, so I was looking up info about them, as they seem strange, since they are not as tart and sour as normal oranges (which give me migraines?) I was really curious to try and discover why regular oranges trigger migraines in me, but the mandarin oranges do not. Anyhoo, I have not discovered that, but I thought this little bit of info was super interesting:

In traditional Chinese medicine, the dried peel of the fruit is used in the regulation of ch'i, and also used to treat abdominal distension, to enhance digestion, and to reduce phlegm.[1][verification needed] Mandarins have also been used in ayurveda (traditional medicine of India)

(from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_orange)

No comments:

Post a Comment