Thursday, July 11, 2013

Coconut Quinoa Pancakes

I also recently tried a recipe that I saw in Prevention magazine for Coconut Pancakes. I substituted quinoa flour for the whole wheat flour. It did give them a bit of the nutty quinoa flavor, but paired with the toasted coconut it was pretty tasty. I noticed I have some other gluten free flours in my pantry, I'll give one of those a whirl next time. I also substituted almond milk for the coconut milk since I had almond on hand. These were easy to make and I made a bunch to keep on hand in the fridge for a few days of easy grab and go breakfasts.

From Prevention Magazine, July 2013, page 77

TOASTED COCONUT PANCAKES

Makes 10-12 pancakes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

1 cup flour (I used quinoa)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp baking soda

3/4 cup coconut milk (I used almond milk)
1/2 c. warm water
1.5 tsp honey
2 tsp vanilla extract

1.5 tsp oil


  • Toast the shredded coconut in medium skillet over medium heat, shaking frequently, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
  • Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda in a bowl.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, water, honey and vanilla extract. Stir into dry ingredients along with the toasted coconut to form a thin batter.
  • Heat skillet with oil (or used a griddle.) For each pancake pout 1/4 cup of the batter and spread with the back of a spoon until 4" in diameter. Cook until bubbles form, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip, cook 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with fruit.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment