Thursday, July 29, 2010

What are Supplements?

I found this article talking about what exactly supplements are, on about.com, and wanted to share, since I really lean towards taking supplements for my fibro and cfs: http://arthritis.about.com/od/supplement/a/factsupplements.htm?nl=1

[I also want to mention again this website, http://www.iguard.org/, which allows you to create and account (free!) and enter everything you take - prescriptions, vitamins, supplements - and it then generates any alerts or interactions you nee to be aware of for the combintion of what you are taking. I go here and enter info BEFORE I start taking anything new, to make sure no interactions will occur. I also consult with my doctor.]

Here are some snippets, but the whole article (linked above from about.com) is very thorough.

What is a dietary supplement?

As defined by Congress in the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act, which became law in 1994, a dietary supplement is a product (other than tobacco) that
  • is intended to supplement the diet
  • contains one or more dietary ingredients (including vitamins; minerals; herbs or other botanicals; amino acids; and other substances) or their constituents
  • is intended to be taken by mouth as a pill, capsule, tablet, or liquid
  • is labeled on the front panel as being a dietary supplement

General Safety Advisory


  • The information in this article does not replace medical advice.

  • Before taking an herb or a botanical, consult a doctor or other health care provider-especially if you have a disease or medical condition, take any medications, are pregnant or nursing, or are planning to have an operation.

  • Before treating a child with an herb or a botanical, consult with a doctor or other health care provider.

  • Like drugs, herbal or botanical preparations have chemical and biological activity. They may have side effects. They may interact with certain medications. These interactions can cause problems and can even be dangerous.

  • If you have any unexpected reactions to an herbal or a botanical preparation, inform your doctor or other health care provider.


  • Please remember to consult your physician before trying anything new. I am not a doctor and no information I provide here should be considered medical advice.The information I share on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice.  It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from my research and experience. Links to other sites are provided for ease of research. Information on those sites is the opinion of those who publish the sites and is NOT necessarily that of FibroChick. I offer what I can as help. I believe in educating myself on all my medical issues and being my own advocate, for no one else will do that on my behalf. I recommend we all do the same! I encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional.   
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment