Thursday, April 28, 2011

Happy with the Support

I visited my dentist a few weeks ago for my teeth cleaning. The dental technician is familiar with my fibromyalgia struggles and asked me how I was doing. I told her how I found a book (The Dental Handbook on Fibromyalgia) and discovered the benefits of taking the amino acid L-Lysine. I proclaimed how it has kept my mouth sores at bay! She was so glad, and told me she recommends L-Lysine often to patients, but people don't seem to trust in the alternative treatments and brush off her advice. It made me feel good to know that she is on my side and supportive of my choosing to use alternative treatments.

I also visited my neurologist a few weeks ago, he has treated me for years for my migraines, and recently also started helping with the fibromyalgia. I told him I had weaned myself off Nortrptyline (I took 25 mg nightly initially to prevent daily headaches, and then it seemed to help fibro too.) And that I no longer needed my Lunesta for sleep. He said that's great, but what has changed? I told him how I've been doing yoga, and massages, and taking supplements (esp magnesium). He was quite supportive of my new changes and my choice to use alternative treatments. He said if its working, keep doing it! And when I need him for anything to let him know. I continue to see him twice a year, for checkups and what not. But again, its just nice to know that my doctor supports my choice in alternative and complementary treatments.

After speaking with some co-workers this week about frustrations over health insurance coverage and recent (disasterous) changes, I am also glad that I am relying less on medications and such that require insurance coverage. I figure, the less I rely on health insurance the better off I'll be moving forward. Health insurance is headed for disaster, and I don't want to be caught in the middle and fighting for my health rights every step of the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment