Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hormones and Fibro Pain

Wow, this article was really interesting, I guess I always kind of knew, or rather "felt" - literally - a link between hormones and my pains, but this article confirms it and helps explains it more.

http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/news/20100416/fibromyalgia-gets-worse-during-menstruation?ecd=wnl_fib_032911

Estrogen is a pain preventative, and its levels falls just before menstruation making us feel more of our pain at that time. Estrogen levels also fall at the onset of menopause, so this explains the increase in fibro pain at menopause for a lot of women.

Also to note, a neurologist stated "... other research shows that women with IBS, fibromyalgia, and IC who are on estrogen-containing birth control pills seem to have fewer symptoms than other women with the conditions, however, I wouldn't recommend patients go on the pill [for this reason]."

I take LoSeasonique birth control, for the sole reason that on it I only have 4 periods a year! I was miserable the week before, during and after my periods becasue of my hormones and my fibromyalgia and migraines, but now on LoSeaonique my life is SO much IMPROVED due to the lessening of frequency of my periods!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment