Monday, May 31, 2010

Avoiding Sugar and Carbs

I have read over and over that well yes excessive sugar is bad for anyone, but for some reason fibromites often crave sugar, and its a vicious cycle, as sugar make our fibro worse. I have been able to wean myself off a good deal of sugar (sodas was my biggest hurdle.) And I have noticed a big difference in how much better I feel when "off" sugar :) I do occasionally use Truvia (stevia) in coffee or tea.

I also think there is a big connection with the amount of sugar and carbs that I consume and the constant, re-occurring yeast infections that I battle. So I am now going to try and cutback on the carbs I consume (ok yes, french fries will be my biggest hurdle here!) I am going to try and only consume good carbs (high fiber).

I read this article below, and this seems like a good guide (ok, except for the chocolate part!):

Eliminate these 4 foods completely from your diet:
(Mary Moeller's Fibromyalgia Cookbook.)
  1. Chocolate
  2. Carbonated beverages
  3. Coffee
  4. Alcohol

Along with changes in nutrition she encourages stretching, exercising and drinking 8+ glasses of water a day. Also, in Mary Moeller and Joe Elrod's book, The Fibromyalgia Nutrition Guide, they advocate a more complete list in order to overcome fatigue and feel your best. The 12 items to avoid are:
  1. High fat dairy foods
  2. White sugar and white flour
  3. Fried foods
  4. Preservatives, junk food, and salt
  5. Red meat (especially salt cured, cured bacon, smoked, or nitrate cured)
  6. Coffee and caffeinated teas
  7. Colas, soda pop, and carbonated beverages
  8. Liquid with your meals
  9. Alcoholic beverages
  10. All forms of tobacco
  11. Prolonged periods of direct sun exposure
  12. Nutrasweet and saccharine

More interesting info:
http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=8287

Wish me luck!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment