Monday, May 10, 2010

Sleep and Fibromyalgia - "Alpha Delta Sleep"

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/fibromyalgia/2010/04/23/dr-victor-rosenfeld-on-sleep-and-fibromyalgia

(Is @ 30 minutes, WELL worth the listen!!)

Sleep plays a HUGE role in fibromyalgia.

The first studies on firbomyalgia involved looking at sleep patterns in fibro sufferers.

Fibromites' delta waves (deep sleep) has alpha wave (awakeness!) intrusion!

Deep sleep/delta waves is restorative, so without it you develop fatigue, chronic pain, cognitive problems and more (sound familiar?!)

Interestingly enough, most Fibromites actually list fatigue and non-restorative sleep as worse and more debilitating than the pain from FM!

So what came first, the pain or the sleep disturbance? Do we not sleep because of the pain, or do we have the pain because we don't sleep....

Clinical studies are currently been done on Xyrem (http://www.xyrem.com/) which is a med currently being used for treatment of narcolepsy, but can be beneficial for helping fribromites treat their sleep problems. It is looking promising, so lets cross our fingers!

Please remember to consult your physician before trying anything new. I am not a doctor and no information should be considered medical advice. Any information provided should not be used to take the place of advice from your personal physician or other professional. Links to other sites are provided for ease of research. Information on those sites is the opinion of those who publish the sites and is NOT necessarily that of FibroChick. I offer what I can as help. I believe in educating myself on all my medical issues and being my own advocate, for no one else will do that on my behalf. I recommend we all do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment