Sunday, August 7, 2011

For Gluten-Free try Arepas!

I am trying to get back to the gluten free route again. I have strayed, and unfortunately seem to be having some terrible tummy problems. I was reading in Jonny Bowden's book "Most Effective Natural Cures on Earth" about IBS, and he suggested cutting out: gluten, dairy and sugar. I am pretty good at the dairy and sugar thing, but I need to get back on track with the gluten-free living. He also suggested secondarily to cut out red meat, citrus, caffeine and alcohol.



Anyhoo, I am getting off topic. So I was at the grocery store the other day and found some ready-made arepas, and threw them in my basket to give them a try. They are made from corn, so no gluten! Yay! A friend suggested I throw them on the george foreman and grill them to make a sandwhich, which I did, for about 5 minutes to get them crispy, works awesome for sandwiches! The packaging suggests toaster, which I tried today, not as successful. Still tasty, but the little buggers are so thin that they fall thru the grating in the toaster :/ A toaster oven would work awesome too with them I bet! And a regular grill would be great too I bet!

This is the brand I tried, maybe they are only available in South Florida grocery stores (?) but looks like you can order online :) If you see them, or ones like them give them a try! Is a quick, tasty gluten-free snack or meal! Can throw anything on one for open face (chicken, avaocados, butter and honey) or throw two together for a full sandwhich. Can go sweet or savory. Endless possibilities!

http://www.larealfoods.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment