Thursday, August 5, 2010

Herbal Sleep Remedies

A friend recently shared this article with me from NewsMax Health. I wanted to post the link here, as I have tried some of these but did not realize that all these aided in sleep. Very interesting. I have tried the Valerian (caution - it smells funky! :) and Melatonin (I think I built up a tolerance?) and I take Skullcap for pain (anti-inflammatory) and sometimes I sip Chamomile tea at bedtime.

These made me tired for sure, but to get my deep restful sleep I still need my Lunesta script :(

Has anyone else tried any of these?

Please don't forget to consult your doctor though before trying anything new, as even herbs like these can interact with other herbs and prescriptions.

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/headline_health/drug_free_sleep_remedies/2010/08/05/338930.html?s=al&promo_code=A6E1-1

For details check out the article above

1. Valerian
2. Melatonin
3. Chinese Skullcap
4. Theanine
5. Lavender
6. Chamomile
7. PassionFlower

Please remember to consult your physician before trying anything new. I am not a doctor and no information I provide here should be considered medical advice.The information I share on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice.  It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from my research and experience. Links to other sites are provided for ease of research. Information on those sites is the opinion of those who publish the sites and is NOT necessarily that of FibroChick. I offer what I can as help. I believe in educating myself on all my medical issues and being my own advocate, for no one else will do that on my behalf. I recommend we all do the same! I encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional.   

4 comments:

  1. The only one I have tried is the Chamomile tea; it relaxes me however, I still need to take Benadryl and Shark Cartilage in order to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chamomile tea is good! I love the Celestial Seasonings teas, I usu drink their Sleepytime tea, it had chamomile plus valerian and spearmint, I loooove the taste and smell of spearmint! (http://www.celestialseasonings.com/health/index.html)

    But be CAREFUL with VALERIAN as if you are on Neurontin (Gabapentin) those two do NOT mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have taken all of them and they are wonderful. I especially like a tea from Yogi Tea. It is very safe and works. Valerian was a godsend in the early days of this illness. What a lifesaver. I learned about it from the Mayo Clinic. It is a muscle relaxant as well as calming to nerves so it is number 1 on favorite herb for sleep and anxiety. Yogi tea smells wonderful too even though valerian smells a bit odd but even that can be very calming to nerves once you get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Louise for sharing! I looked up Yogi's website (http://www.yogiproducts.com/) and it looks like they have some really yummy and helpful organic teas!

    ReplyDelete