Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tai Chi for Fibro

This has gotten a lot of attention lately, and I am so glad! I wanted to share the article from the NY Times, link below.

While I have not tried Tai Chi, I feel yoga has a lot of similar components. I have tried Qigong which is also very similar, and I really enjoy this as well. (I bought a Qi Gong DVD which I follow: Qi Gong for Cleansing (2005) with Daisy Lee Garripoli and Francesco Garripoli)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/19/health/19taichi.html?_r=1 

Some key quotes from the article:

Dr. Chenchen Wang, a Tufts rheumatologist who led the study, said she attributed the results to the fact that “fibromyalgia is a very complex problem” and “tai chi has multiple components — physical, psychological, social and spiritual.”

After a few weeks, a patient she said she began to feel better, and after 12 weeks “the pain had diminished 90 percent.” She has continued tai chi, lost 50 pounds and can walk three to seven miles a day.


“You could not have convinced me that I would ever have done this or continued with this,” she said. “I wouldn’t say it’s a cure. I will say it’s an effective method of controlling pain.”

The physician said it offered an inexpensive and “gentler option” for patients deterred by other physical activities. “The mind-body connections set it apart from other exercises,” she said, adding that doctors are seeking “anything we can offer that will make patients say ‘I can really do this.’ ”

No comments:

Post a Comment