Saturday, June 26, 2010

Benefits of Magnesium

Magnesium is a powerful mineral. Not only does it help relax muscles (calcium contracts muscles) and help with cellular regeneration, but it relieves a lot of chronic symptoms (see lists below.) Magnesium regulates the absorption of calcium, potassium and sodium. It plays a key role in energy production, digestion, muscle and bone function, cell production, and in the functioning of the heart, kidneys, adrenals, brain and nervous system. It is a critical nutrient for optimal health, and yet as many as 90 % of us may be magnesium-deficient!

Magnesium deficiency causes imbalance in the body. It is responsible for fatigue and the inability to sleep, lack of energy, muscle tension, cramps and twitches, headaches, backaches and heart problems. It can cause depression, excessive worry, stress-related irritability and over-sensitivity, accelerated aging, bone spurs, kidney stones, arthritis and osteoporosis. Because it is essential for the absorption of other major minerals, a magnesium deficiency will usually indicate an imbalance in potassium and also calcium. A deficiency in magnesium in your body means there are over 300 biochemical reactions that either won't occur at all or will occur very inefficiently. Somewhat like a six cylinder car trying to run on four spark plugs.

See this article for the important balance in calcium and magnesium. (http://www.absolutelythepurest.com/other%20parts/mysteryandmagicmagnes.html) It is possible that in taking too much calcium you are in turn depleting your magnesium. You CAN take too much calcium, but you cannot take too much magnesium.

The following factors deplete magnesium from your body. The more prevalent these factors are in your life, the more magnesium your body will need to replenish its magnesium storage:

• Mental, physical, emotional stress
• Environmental pollutants
• Excess calcium supplementation
• Sugar, coffee, sodas and milk
• Alcohol, tobacco and all types of drugs, including diuretics
• High-carbohydrate diets
• Low thyroid and chronic pain

“Top Ten List” of Symptoms Relieved by Magnesium: From Carolyn Dean

- Less knee pain
- Carbohydrate/sugar cravings down from 90 to 5 — on a scale of 100 (most) to 0 (none)
- Wrinkles and crevices in her face diminishing
- Dramatic reduction in “migraines”
- Period went from dark to bright red and from severe clots to minimal clots
- Able to exercise intensely for the first time in years without being exhausted for at least three days after
- Sleep has improved from “minimal” to “poor and restless” all night (this is a huge improvement for her).
- Able to “keep going” (to some extent) past 6:30pm at night.
- Less sound sensitivity/hypersensitivity.
- Better able to concentrate when someone is speaking to her (if there is any background noise).

http://www.healthlady.com/articles/%E2%80%9Ctop-ten-lists%E2%80%9D-of-symptoms-relieved-by-magnesium-2/#more-6765

More Benefits of Magnesium Supplementation Therapy

- Improve Sleep
- Relieve Muscle Discomfort
- Overcome Stress
- Relax Nerves
- Improve Bad Mood
- Improve Heart Function
- Increase Kidney Health
- Support Healthy Blood Pressure
- mprove Bone Health
- Alleviate Various Aches
- Keep Bones in Alignment

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/index/Products/Magnesium?ref=10595

I have found that taking 1200-1600 mg magnesium/day works well for me (400-800 in the a.m. and 800 in the p.m.) I have noticed that I feel better. I have found the Ultra-Mag by Source Naturals to be a very good brand. I get them at a good price from VitaCost (http://www.vitacost.com/Source-Naturals-Ultra-Mag-Magnesium-Complex#IngredientFacts)

I hope this helps.

Please remember to consult your physician before trying anything new. I am not a doctor and no information I provide here should be considered medical advice.The information I share on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice.  It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from my research and experience. Links to other sites are provided for ease of research. Information on those sites is the opinion of those who publish the sites and is NOT necessarily that of FibroChick. I offer what I can as help. I believe in educating myself on all my medical issues and being my own advocate, for no one else will do that on my behalf. I recommend we all do the same! I encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. 

3 comments:

  1. I read the list of the benefits of magnesium and especially like the one that says diminishing facial wrinkles! I don’t take a supplement however; I try to eat foods that have magnesium in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't take a supplement either, Brenda. See, supplements upset my poor stomach tot he point where I can't eat. I'm pretty sure I'm just sensitive to concentrated anything that's not accompanied by all the other things it would be if I got it naturally. There's a balance in nature, and I'm trying to preserve that in myself.

    But apparently we can absorb magnesium really well through our skin, so I'm experimenting with epsom salt baths. I tend to notice relief from my pains right away, moreso than I ever got soaking in the hot tub. I hope the relief will stay once I get my magnesium levels back up to operating standards. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard a lot of good things about Epsom salt baths from many fibromyalgia folk. I am glad to hear of the continued success in receiving relief! I personally have not experienced the relief, but I may be too impatient with it.

    ReplyDelete