Sunday, June 27, 2010

Chronic Fatigue is Neurological

More evidence. No wonder my neurologist that I have been going to forever for my migraines is so in tuned with also treating my fibro and CFS :)

On April 24, the Massachusetts CFIDS/ME & FM Association hosted a presentation on “The Latest Research on CFS” by Dr. Anthony L Komaroff, MD. Dr. Komaroff , a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and Editor in Chief of Harvard Health Publications, has treated hundreds of ME/CFS patients over the past 25 years.

In answer to question # 21 in the Q&A session – “Would you classify CFS as a neurological disease?” Dr. Komaroff stated:

"I would certainly say, as I have said today, that there is now abundant evidence of measurable abnormalities in the central nervous system and the autonomic nervous system in people with this illness. So that makes it neurological. That's why I think it makes sense, as Dr. Gurwitz said, to call it Myalgic Ecephalomyelitis or Encephalopathy, because I think those two words adequately classify or describe an underlying biology that tests have shown to be the case."

Links to videos too:


http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=15400

2 comments:

  1. The central nervous system must be responsible for more things than we think; very good post. You are really educating your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda! I am glad to get the feedback. I try to post the interesting, informative and helpful stuff I am finding!

    ReplyDelete