Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Glucoasmine and Skullcap for Fibro Pains?

One of my biggest aches has been in my knees. In fact that is where all my aches and pains in this fun fibro journey started! By the end of the day my knees hurt so much, and feel like they are swollen as big as basketballs (but they look just fine!) And kneeling on them at all causes pain. (I have to be careful in yoga, and do alternative moves that are non-kneeling.)

Anyhoo, I have been taking Limbrel, which is available only via prescription, and is not actually a medicine - it is considered a medical food product. It is usually prescribed for osteoarthritis to help with inflammation. The main ingredients in it are: baicalin and catechin, which are natural flavonoids from plants. (from Scutellaria baicalensis -- Skullcap, and Acacia catechu -- found in cocoa beans.)


Scutellaria baicalensis (not to be confused with Scutellaria lateriflora-- which can be toxic) is one of the 50 fundamental herbs in traditional Chinese medicine. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutellaria_baicalensis

I also found this note on the Limbrel website: "For long term use, Limbrel should not be taken together with NSAIDs such as naproxen, ibuprofen, aspirin (except baby aspirin), or with any selective COX-2 inhibitors. NSAIDs and selective COX-2 inhibitors will destroy Limbrel's "balancing" effect."

Anyhoo, so my point! Is that I was at Walgreens and was reading all the Joint Juice, Move-Free, Glucosamine Chondroitin products, to see if any resemble Limbrel. Sure enough! I narrowed it down to: Schiff Move Free Advanced Triple Strength Plus MSM & Vitamin D, which contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, and Scutellaria baicalensis and Acacia catechu! (And of course good ol Vitamin D!)


The Walgreens comprable store brand is even cheaper than my Limbrel prescription, so I am going to try it for a month. Will let you know what I think in a month!

I know that the Limbrel has helped ease my knee pains A LOT, as whenever I delay in refilling the script, and go a few days without my body reminds me sure enough with pain! 

Has anyone else tried Limbrel or this Move-Free Glucosamine and Chondroitin?! I am curious other fribromites experiences with these.


I also was not familiar with the "MSM" in the Move-Free. They have some without the MSM (and without Vitamin D), but I figured the more the merrier? Anyhoo, I found these links about MSM, which I thought were interesting:


http://www.infowest.com/business/g/gentle/msm.html

http://www.doctorajadams.com/MSM.html


Please remember to consult your physician before trying anything new. I am not a doctor and no information I provide here should be considered medical advice.The information I share on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice.  It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from my research and experience. Links to other sites are provided for ease of research. Information on those sites is the opinion of those who publish the sites and is NOT necessarily that of FibroChick. I offer what I can as help. I believe in educating myself on all my medical issues and being my own advocate, for no one else will do that on my behalf. I recommend we all do the same! I encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional.
  

2 comments:

  1. I haven’t tried these products however; a few years ago I did buy Glucosamine in pill form to help with the pain in my hands. After a few months; my hand pain went away but, Glucosamine didn’t help with my fibro pain.
    It may help you, I wish you well with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda! I am hopeful! Will keep everyone updated!

    ReplyDelete